A balanced argument paper - April 2018

The second semester I was supposed to write a balanced argument paper about some scientific invention for Practical Language. I had chosen to write about phones. I am not sure how I managed this task, because I am not very satisfied with it. I think the grammar is good. It was really easy to write it, but I feel the vocabulary could be more advanced.

The mobile phone
Since John F. Mitchell and Martin Cooper introduced the first handheld phone in 1973, many things changed. In 1973 the cell phone weighed almost two kilograms, nowadays it makes our pocket only about 150 grams heavier. The mobile phone became an important part of the world. In 2017, around 1.54 billion smartphones were sold worldwide. We could say it’s logical this invention changed our lives, but I have recently thought about the changes and I realized it’s much more than we usually think of.

Firstly, let’s be optimistic. It’s a fact that mobile phone speeded up our communication. Before phones at all, we could only imagine having possibility to talk to our friends all the time practically everywhere. Another advantage of today’s phones is having a permanent opportunity to search for further information. With a smartphone we can easily read news, forecast the weather, find the right road, translate a text and with additional devices do much weirder stuff - like measuring your muscles, alcohol present or heart health.

However, I feel very strongly the phones are changing our population every day. It seems to me that the addiction is starting to show. We are taking our phones everywhere, we can hardly survive without it. I know many people, who take it even to the bathroom! In addition, people lose their patience, since we are used to getting information so quickly. A further disadvantage is the lack of “offline conversation”. Spending our time by communicating via email, text messages, whatsapp, messenger, almost all generations are forgetting how to talk to others in daily life. As I see it, future books will be written in emoticons, memes and abbreviations.

All things considered I believe we should use our phones more carefully (quality should predominate the quantity) and not forget to sometimes leave the phone at home.